Sticky Toffee Date Cake
FOR THE DATE CAKE
- 250g pitted Medjool dates, chopped
- 180ml boiling water
- 125ml Tant Sannie se Melktert
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 125g butter, chopped
- 180ml soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250ml self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- 5ml ground cinnamon
FOR THE TOFFEE SAUCE
- 125ml Treacle sugar
- 45ml cream
- 30ml Tant Sannie se Melktert
- 50g butter
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 100g soft butter
- 250g tub cream cheese, at room
- 250ml icing sugar
- 45g packet caramel popcorn
- For the date cake, preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line 3x17cm round cake pans with baking paper.
- Combine the dates, water, 80ml of Tant Sannie se Melktert and bicarb in a bowl and
- leave to stand for 5 minutes. Blitz together
- the date mixture, butter and sugar until
- combined. Blitz in the eggs.
- Sift over the self-raising flour, salt and
- cinnamon and fold in until just combined.
- Divide between the prepared pans (about
- 290g batter into each pan). Bake for about
- 30 minutes until a testing skewer comes
- out clean. Spoon 15ml of the remaining
- Tant Sannie se Melktert over each cake as
- soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Cool in the pans.
- For the toffee sauce, bring all the
- ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat and
- simmer, while stirring for about 5 minutes
- or until slightly thickened.
- Cool to room temperature.
- For the icing, beat the butter until pale.
- Add the cream cheese and icing sugar
- until smooth.
- To assemble, remove cakes from the tins.
- Spread 125ml of the icing on each cake
- layer and stack on top of each other on a
- cake stand. Spread remaining icing around
- the cake to create a naked cake effect.
- When ready to serve, drizzle the toffee
- sauce around the top of the cake, allowing
- it to drip down the sides.
- Drizzle remaining sauce on top and sprinkle
- over the popcorn.
- Serve immediately, alternatively serve the sauce on the side.